SCHOOL SPORT WA TRIATHLON – SELECTION POLICY
JUNIOR, INTERMEDIATE AND SENIOR AGE GROUPS
SCHOOL SPORT AUSTRALIA NATIONAL SCHOOLS CHAMPIONSHIPS 2024
Rockingham, Western Australia March 11-15, 2024
- Up to 6 males and 6 females will be considered for selection in each age category.
Age categories are as follows:
Juniors – 12 / 13 years (born 2010/2011)
Intermediates – 14 / 15 years (born 2008/2009)
Seniors – 16 / 17 / 18 years (born 2005/2006/2007)
- Age criteria for racing at the National Championships are determined as the age on 31st December 2024.
- Team members are required to be a full-time student at a secondary school or institution (eg. TAFE) in 2024.
- SELECTION CRITERIA
- The following events will be used as selection races:
- Date: Thursday 2nd November
Event: State Schools Triathlon Championships
Venue: Champion Lakes
Distances: Juniors – 300 / 11 / 2
Intermediates – 600 / 16 / 4
Seniors – 750 / 21 / 5
- Date: Sunday 26th November, 2023
Event: EXSS Sprint Triathlon
Venue: Champion Lakes
Distances: Juniors – Bolt (400 / 12.5 / 2.5)
Intermediates – Bolt (400 /12.5 / 2.5)
Seniors – Sprint (750 / 20 / 5)
- Date: Sunday 17th December 2023
Event: City of Joondalup Coastal Quest
Venue: Whitfords Nodes, Hillarys
Distances: Juniors – 250 / 7 / 2
Intermediates – 750 / 20 / 5
Seniors – 750 / 20 / 5
- * School Sport WA accepts no responsibility for these selection races not being of accurate distance due to the organisation by private race directors. Parents / Guardians are responsible for entering their child in these selection races. School Sport WA or the child’s school are not able to enter individuals.
- The selection committee will select each age group team in the following order of priority:
- automatic selections
- points achieved at selection events
- wildcard to top national and state competitors if results are considered good enough and if unable to compete in selection races (written application)
- nil race results (written application)
- Automatic selection to the team will be determined as follows:
Placing first or second in the State Schools Triathlon Championships at Champion Lakes – Thursday 2nd November, 2023, providing these athletes continue to:
- Race regularly in the TWA Series and Junior Series races during the 2023/24 season.
* Students living outside the metropolitan area and unable to attend TWA races, need to advise the team management in writing of their race schedule and provide a club race calendar.
- Attend scheduled training sessions or team events.
- Points for the events will be awarded for performances as follows:
- 1st = 10 points
2nd = 7 points
3rd = 5 points
4th = 3 points
5th = 2 points
6th = 1 point
7th = 0 points
Points will be given to those competing in the race who have applied for selection in the team.
- Points will be cumulative to a maximum of two events.
- Where an athlete has competed in more than 2 events, the best 2 results (based on points) will be used.
- The points table will be used to select athletes after the automatic selections have been made.
- Athletes selected under the automatic criteria are able to race in other selection races, but will not be awarded points. The points will be rolled down to the next placed competitor.
- Points will be awarded as per the results of the day.
- Where two or more athletes have achieved the same points, the athlete with the highest individual placings will be selected.
- The selection committee has the authority at its absolute discretion to make no more than one wildcard selection within each age category. (ie. one girl and one boy in each category). This discretion is provided to ensure School Sport WA sends its best possible team to the National Championships. Applications (in writing) for a wildcard position, including reasons why an athlete did not contest the selection events, must be submitted by Monday 11th December 2023.
All athletes who wish to be considered for a position in the team must notify the Selection Committee of their availability for selection on the appropriate application form (this includes athletes who satisfy automatic selection criteria). This nomination form must reach the School Sport Coordinator by Monday 27th November 2023. Application forms can be obtained from the School Sport WA website www.schoolsportwa.com.au or from the School Sport Coordinator.
- FURTHER INFORMATION
The SSWA State Team Selection Policy can be viewed in full on the School Sport Website: www.schoolsportwa.com.au Please provide this information to your students entering the selection races.
The SSWA State Team will be announced on Monday 18th December.
- NATIONAL SPECIFIC RACE REGULATIONS
Athletes who successfully qualify to represent Western Australia at the School Sport Triathlon Championships must travel with a UCI Compliant Bike and ride on UCI Approved Wheels.
School Sport Nationals will be DRAFT LEGAL and all travelling athletes will need to be members of Triathlon Western Australia and have completed their drafting endorsement.
11 years (born 2012) & 12 years (born 2011) Boys – Up to 8 athletes in total will be considered for selection across both of these age groups
11 years (born 2012) & 12 years (born 2011) Girls – Up to 8 athletes in total will be considered for selection across both of these age groups
Age criteria for racing at the School Sport Australia Championships are determined as the age in the year of competition.
- Team members are required to be a full time student.
- Selected athletes will be required to travel and accommodate with a parent or nominated guardian.
Participation in the School Sport WA Aquathlon event at the Primary School Triathlon Championship is required for selection consideration.
Team selection will be determined as follows:
Athletes placing in the top 8 for their particular age group will receive automatic selection. In the event that an athletes does not take up the offer to participate at the School Sport Australia event an offer will be made to the next highest placed athlete.
Athletes who wish to be considered for a position in the team must go to the School Sport WA website and complete the Interstate Aquathlon Nomination Form.
Medal Winner Policy
- Player deemed to have displayed perseverance, commitment and team spirit, as voted by team officials and/or players.
The SSWA State Team will be announced on the SSWA Website on Monday 19 December