The State Schoolgirls and Schoolboys Softball Teams will consist of 15 players each. Students participating in the School Sport Australia Championship will be eighteen (18) years of age and under as at June 30th of the year of the Championship. Any full time secondary or TAFE student attending a recognised educational institution is eligible to nominate for selection. Online nomination forms are available on the School Sport WA website www.schoolsportwa.com.au
In order to select the players for the team, the following will apply:
- Players must complete the official nomination form online
- Players must pay the required trial fee before or at the first trial date
- A copy of the form and details about the trial fee will be available on the School Sport WA website. (www.schoolsportwa.com.au).
- The nomination form is to be submitted electronically prior to the first trial date.
- The Selection Panel will be appointed by the SSWA Softball Committee
- The State Team Coach shall administer the selection process
- The State Team Coach, Assistant Coach and Team Manager shall be the principal selectors
- The Softball Committee shall appoint other selectors as appropriate.
- No selector shall be involved in the selection of any player who is directly related to them.
Trials Specific Information
- A minimum of two trials will be held. Each trial shall consist of match play.
- The number of players carried through from each trial to the next is at the discretion of the selectors.
- Attendance at a minimum of 2 trials is compulsory unless exceptional circumstances apply and prior permission is sought wherever possible from the Coach and/or Manager
- Trials may incorporate skill drills for players as well as match play
- Every endeavour shall be given to trialling players in their preferred positions
- Selectors reserve the right to trial players in equivalent positions
- Selectors shall consider all aspects of the game including (but not limited to) physical ability, skill, tactics and attitude.
- Selectors shall reach decisions by consensus wherever possible. If consensus cannot be reached, a vote by the principal selectors shall be held.
- When selecting one player before another, selectors shall make an “on balance” decision, based on all the attributes and abilities shown by the players. When all aspects are considered even, then older players will be selected in front of younger players.
- When selecting the final team of 15 players, selectors shall consider the balance of the squad in terms of positional play.
- Up to 2 reserves may be selected to train on. These players will be called upon in case of a withdrawal due to sickness or injury.
- Injured players may be given time to trial by being exempted from early trials or by being included in train on squads provided the timeline is sufficient to enable adequate preparation after selection.
- Once a team or squad is selected, attendance at training is to be balanced with family and club commitments. Initial decisions to be made by consultation between player and coach. If consensus cannot be reached, parents and manager shall be consulted. If consensus cannot be reached, the SSWA Softball sport convenor shall be consulted.
- All team members and their parent/guardian are required to attend an information session at a nominated place and date and comply with the directives issued prior to team membership being confirmed.
- All team members are to be 100% fit 1 week before departure for Nationals. A player unable to travel may be replaced by the reserve.
- The Chairman of selectors may advise country players that they can miss certain trials or training sessions due to travel concern.