INTERSTATE AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL BOYS 12s
- The positions of Coach, Assistant Coach (2) and Manager/Tour Leader are advertised annually
- The appointed team officials form the selection committee
- The Chairman of Selectors is the appointed Tour Leader
- Team officials may appoint other team selectors to assist on a needs basis.
Prior to Selection Trials
- Selectors meet to determine and discuss player selection criteria
- Trial dates are determined by the appointed team officials
- Details and nomination form are posted on the SSWA Website
- Team Manager/Tour Leader sends an email to all schools and Junior Clubs advising them of upcoming trial dates and invites schools and individuals to nominate for trial on the SSWA and State Schoolboys websites.
- Nominees are allocated to a Phase 1 trial date and time by Team Manager/Tour Leader
- Confirmation of trial allocation and Risk Management documentation is sent via email to all trialists
- The number of selection trials is dependent on nominations
- All players are advised of selection criteria by coach or Chairman of Selectors prior to commencement of the trial
- Selectors are allocated duties on the day by the Chairman of Selectors
- Successful trialists are notified on the Internet after the final trial in that phase and invited back to a subsequent trial
- At the final trial selectors pick a group of 23 boys to attend further training.
- After the trials, the final team is announced and a number of boys (up to 5) are invited to continue training with the team in a “train-on” [emergency player] capacity
- Players injured during the trial process will not necessarily be omitted from the final team and may be invited by the Chairman of Selectors to attend trials or squad training at later dates.
- The Chairman of Selectors may advise country players that they can miss certain trials or training sessions due to travel concerns
- Should any boy be ruled out prior to the Championship for any reason then the replacement player would be selected from the “train-on” group
- Should any boy suffer an injury prior to travelling, his parent(s) will be required to attend a sports physician (preferably one specified by the Tour Leader or Team Physio) to obtain a medical clearance to travel and play. Should the physician deem the player unfit to travel and or play he will be replaced in the squad immediately.
- Selection in 12 years and under teams is restricted to students who turn 11 or 12 years old on or before 31 December in the year of competition. Students who turn 11 in the year of competition and who are selected in the final team must be accompanied to the event by a Parent or nominated Guardian even if the student stays in the team accommodation. All SSWA teams are selected on merit according to the published selection process for that team or sport.
Updated February 2022
Medal Winner Policy
- Player deemed to have displayed perseverance, commitment and team spirit, as voted by team officials and/or players.