2017 INTERSTATE ORIENTEERING
Who to Contact
Interstate Event Information
|Event Date||Venue /State||Age|
|23 September - 1 October 2017||Bathurst NSW||U16, 19yrs as 31 December|
The 2017 Australian Schools & School Sport Australia Orienteering Championships
26th to 28th September 2017 http://onsw.asn.au/ozchamps2017/school-championships
Accommodation for State School Teams: St Stanislaus College, Bathurst
Interstate Trial Information
|Eligibility and NOMINATIONs||
All WA school or TAFE students who are aged between 12 years and 19 years (inclusive) on 31-12-17 are eligible for the team. School students can be attending primary or secondary school.
All students who wish to be considered for the team must notify the Selectors of their availability by completing the online nomination form on the above Nomination Tab.
Nominations close 28 April 2017.
Late nominations may be accepted at the discretion of the selectors, but only in classes where there are insufficient numbers.
Selectors: Jill Elderfield, Kellie Martin and Harry Nicholson
Team Announced: Wednesday 5 July
Late selections may be made at the discretion of the selectors, but only in classes where there are insufficient numbers and where the athlete has proven commitment and ability at events stipulated by the selectors.
|Cost||Standard event fees apply for the trial races|
Performance at 9 events will be considered. Of these attendance is required at any 2 Nav Dash (Sprint) events, any 3 Bush events as well as the Secondary Schools Championships.
Find more information about the events at – http://www.wa.orienteering.asn.au and https://eventor.orienteering.asn.au/Events
It is intended that 4 students in each age group will be invited to join the 2017 WA Schools Orienteering Team.
|Which course should I run?||
BUSH EVENTS (EXCEPT SCHOOL CHAMPIONSHIPS)
Competitors will not be disadvantaged by running a more difficult course than the one listed.
Orienteering Interstate Nomination
By submitting this nomination form I agree to the following;
- I have read the Selection Policy
- I will abide by the decisions of the selectors
- My parents are aware of and endorse this nomination
- I understand it is a parent/student responsibility to notify the school of this nomination
- I understand it is a parent/student responsibility to notify event officials of any medical conditions that may affect the student’s well-being during trials
Please Note: All trial fees are to be paid on the day of trials unless stated otherwise.
Orienteering Interstate Team Selection Policy
- School Sport WA (SSWA) participates in the School Sport Australia National Orienteering Championship for secondary schools.
- 19 Years and Under - All players will turn 19 years of age (or under) as at the 31st December in the year of competition
- Students eligible for selection in the state team must attend secondary schools or Department of Education and Training recognised educational institutions
- The positions of Coach, Manager and Tour Manager are advertised annually
- Appointed officials will be selectors
- OAWA Schools Development Officer is also a selector in case of conflict of interest.
Prior to Selection Trials
- Selectors meet to discuss selection criteria
- Selectors view potential competitors through Orienteering events
Trial dates are determined by officials and SSWA
Details and nomination form are posted on the SSWA website
Orienteering WA distributes information to all affiliated members advertising trial information
- Trial dates are determined by officials and SSWA
- Details and nomination form are posted on the SSWA website
- Orienteering WA distributes information to all affiliated members advertising trial information
- Nominations to be completed online
- List of nominees is cross matched with attendance at the trial
- Trials are conducted at Orienteering WA selected events
- Selectors view competitors through a series of criteria listed below
- Successful competitors are notified at the completion of the trial
- Competitors injured or unable to attend the trial will not necessarily be omitted from the final team and may be invited by selectors to attend trials or squad training sessions at later dates
- After a set number of training sessions the final team is announced
- A number of competitors may be invited to ‘train on’ as potential reserve competitors
- Selectors may advise competitors that certain squad training dates can be missed due to injury, travel or special commitments
- Competitors with school or Orienteering WA commitments, and who have completed the required SSWA nomination process, may be included in squads as their commitment is completed
- Should any competitor be ruled out prior to the Championship for any reason then a replacement competitor may be selected from the ‘train on’ group (dependent on team requirements)
Trial results will be used as a basis for team selection as well as:
It is intended that 4 students in each age group will be invited to join the Orienteering Team.
Performance at 9 events will be considered. Of these you must attend any 2 Nav Dash events, any 3 Bush events and the Secondary Schools Championships.
Selection criteria will be based upon:
- Sporting Behaviour
- Team commitment
- Attendance at formal training sessions
- Training commitment
Team Captain(s) will be selected and announced at the final presentation evening. The captain(s)will be selected by the team managers / coaches, in consultation with the Sports Coordinator, based on the following criteria :
- seniority in the team
- past experience
- commitment and attitude to training / information sessions
- suitable behaviour
- leadership potential (eg. ability to encourage and support team members, accepting responsibility at team sessions)
- confidence with public speaking
- demonstration of good organisational skills
The Selection Committee consists of the State Team Officials.
Selection of Orienteering Medal Winner
The winner of the Orienteering Medal will be selected by all the staff attending the event.
Selection will be based on the athletes’
- Results in the three Australian School Sport Orienteering Championships events
- Attitude and dedication to excellence
Excursion Mgmt Plan
Excursion Management Plan
SSWA is contracted by the Department of Education through a Grant Agreement to provide sport experiences and opportunities for all students in WA schools.
The Grant Agreement with the Department of Education requires SSWA to:
- Maintain appropriate insurances in relation to the provision of the service
- Ensure that compulsory criminal record checks have been completed on all volunteers and employees
- Conduct off school site activities in accordance with the DoE Excursions: Off School Site Activities Policy
Click HERE for the Excursion Management Plan
Results and History
Results and History
Please click on the below years for team history;
Daily and overall results;